The course is focused on the introduction in Biomedical Engineering and its applications towards diagnosis and therapy of various diseases. Due to coarse, various topics will be covered such as:
- Introduction to Biomedical Engineering: applications, diagnosis and treatment, biomedical instrumentation administration, security issues, Biomedical Technology and the Biomedical Engineer, their present and future.
- Digital processing of biological signals: methods and processing techniques, design and implementation of digital filtering, applications.
- Physiology of the heart and Electrocardiogram (ECG): the myocardium, the rhythmic heart excitation, the normal ECG, cardiac arrhythmias and their electrocardiac manifestation, the electronic instrumentation required to capture heart signals.
- Blood pressure measurements: arterial, pulmonary and venal blood pressure, systolic and diastolic pressure, arterial pressure waveforms, transmission and reflection, blood pressure measurement methods, direct and indirect method.
- Physiology of the brain and Electroencephalogram (EEG): elementary brain neurophysiology, function of the electroencephalograph, EEG characteristics, processing and information extraction, evoked potentials measurement and interpretation.
- Electromyography: skeletal muscle structure, neural transmission, Electromyogram (EMG), EMG with electrical transmission, EMG applications, muscle simulation.
- Electromechanics of biological fluids: fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, hemorrheology, circulation system, blood composition and function, cell electromechanic properties measurement techniques.
The course is provided in the Interuniversity Postgraduate Programme on ‘Biomedical Engineering’ by the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Patras, the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the School of Mechanical Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens, in collaboration with many European Universities.
Lecturers: Dimitris Koutsouris, George Matsopoulos
Lecture Hours: 3
Course Material: Download!